Extended64
The 64-Bit Windows Community

Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service

[DISCLAMER: This post is a rant.  I am sorry if this comes off in a frustrated tone, but guess what, I’m fustrated!]

I’m going to start off by wishing that today durring the hours of 8am to 11am, I have packet loss.

I’m extremely dissatisfied with the service I’m getting from Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost internet service.  I pay *extra* per month for higher speeds then normal cable modem service, but yet during the night time, my internet connection becomes totally unusable for anything other then basic web browsing.  Why?  Because I have packet loss.  I’ve been experiencing slow speeds at night for a while now, but I always wrote it off as a slow web server on the other end.  Then a two nights ago, I go to transfer (using secure FTP) a 600MB time sensitive database backup to a SQL Server housed in a data center.  My transfer rate quickly rises to around 500KB/s which is the typical transfer rate I experience when everything is normal.  Then moments after hitting top speed the transfer rate nose dives to 0KB/s.  A few more seconds later, it goes back up.  Then it falls back to 0KB/s.  It keeps repeating this, until it falls for 0KB/s for too long, which then times out the transfer.

After discovering this, I did what any techie would do: troubleshoot the problem.  I ultimately bypassed my entire network by plugging in a laptop directly into the modem.  No change.  This means that there could only be a problem at 3 possible points: my modem, my wiring, and/or at Cablevision.  I quickly called up Cablevision, which has very good 24/7 tech support (by now it’s 4am!).  I spoke to a nice tech, who immediately ran some tests and gladly proclaimed that there was absolutely no problems and everything should be working fine.  Naturally, I decided to retry the transfer to see if my speeds would sustain.  I had the same intermittent throughput as before.  I asked him to run the tests while I was uploading.  Bingo!  I had 40% packet loss!  So what now?  The tech said that the network was fine, so it had to be either my modem or the wiring and that I had to schedule an appointment for a technician to come and investigate the problem.   Since it was so early in the day, I actually had the option of scheduling it the same day (which is pretty neat), and I did.

Later that day (at around 2pm, after only a few hours of precious sleep!) the Cablevision technician showed up and ran all kinds of line tests.  Everything checked out fine.  I had very strong signal.  My modem was fine.  I hooked up the modem straight to the laptop that I tested while on the phone.  Guess what?  The transfer was perfect.  No packet loss at all!  Relieved that the problem has been corrected somehow, I let the technician go.  Fast forward to 3am, just 11 hours later.  I go to upload that 600mb time sensitive database backup, which took me 2 hours to prepare AGAIN (since last night’s backup was old and useless by then).    PACKET LOSS AGAIN!  Here is what the transfer speed graph looks like in my FTP client (FlashFXP):

image

Needless to say, I am EXTREMELY FUSTRATED now.  I’ve wasted so much time on this already.  I’ve wasted 4 hours now preparing a time sensitive backup that must be transferred at night, that can’t be transferred.  I’ve wasted countless hours dealing with Cablevision.  Countless hours troubleshooting the problem before I even called Cablevision.  What’s worse is, I’m exactly at square one.  Cablevision is now sending another tech out between 8am and 11am.  That means for the second night in a row, I’ve wasted my time.  I’m willing to bet that this problem is totally non-existent when the technician gets here today.

Is Cablevision paying attention to the blogosphere?  You’ve got one totally unsatisfied customer.  So right now I’m left hoping that I have packet loss today between 8am and 11am.  Is that too hard to ask for?

Update (June 7, 2009 @ 6:26am): The sun has risen, and my connection is back to normal.  I have called Cablevision back, and have canceled today’s appointment.  I will be monitoring this again tonight, to see if my connection has packet loss for the third night in a row.  When I called back this morning, I actually spoke to the technician that I originally spoke to when this all started.  He was very happy to have an update on the situation, and he helped me cancel the appointment.  The one thing about this whole experience is that Cablevision’s staff has been extremely friendly and has tried to be helpful.  They have sent a technician on the same day I called in the problem, and were going to do that again today.  Even though I’m frustrated, I’ve done my best to keep my cool while speaking to them.  After all, it’s not THEIR fault that I’m having the problem.

Update (June 8, 2009 @ 1:35am): Guess what?  More packet loss tonight.  I can’t even maintain an FTP connection now.  Or even ping Google with anything less then 75% loss.  Calling Cablevision now!

image

image

Posted Jun 07 2009, 04:14 AM by Ryan Hoffman

Comments

Twitted by antwanp wrote Twitted by antwanp
on 06-07-2009 5:40 AM

Pingback from  Twitted by antwanp

Twitted by tekmaven wrote Twitted by tekmaven
on 06-08-2009 8:23 AM

Pingback from  Twitted by tekmaven

kishor jedia wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 06-09-2009 5:02 AM

I want more knowledge in making asp Pages attractive

carinda wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 06-09-2009 7:54 PM

I had the same problem and it turned out to be bad wiring at a neighbor's house.  That was why i was only experiencing losses while the neighbor was home.  Make sure you get the cable company to check the wires out on your street.  it took me a while to convince the cable tech to check outside the house but, once he did he traced the problem to the source fairly quickly.

how to fix your credit wrote how to fix your credit
on 09-15-2009 1:17 AM

This conversation is interesting - so many different points of view!

Bob D wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 02-15-2010 3:24 PM

I am 4 days into the Optimum Boost installation. All re-wiring has been done and the "packet loss" problem is now being elevated to the "Supervisor Level".  How was Ryan's packet loss problem resolved-Any suggetions?

jcarry wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 08-23-2011 12:21 AM

I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he enjoyed it as well!Thanks so much for this! I have not been this thrilled by a blog post for quite some time! You’ve got it, whatever that means in blogging. Anyway, You’re definitely someone that has something to say that people should hear. Keep up the wonderful job. Keep on inspiring the people!<a href="www.cheat-testking.com/350-001-guide.html">testking 350-001</a>== <a href="www.cheat-testking.com/642-902-guide.html">testking 642-902</a>== <a href="www.cheat-testking.com/640-822-guide.html">testking 640-822</a>== <a href="www.cheat-testking.com/646-205-guide.html">testking 646-205</a>== <a href="www.cheat-testking.com/640-816-guide.html">testking 640-816</a>== <a href="www.cheat-testking.com/350-030-guide.html">testking 350-030</a>== <a href="www.cheat-testking.com/642-832-guide.html">testking 642-832</a>== <a href="www.cheat-testking.com/640-553-guide.html">testking 640-553</a>==

Hildegarde wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 12-06-2011 1:27 AM

To be sure with all your thoughts here and that i like your blog!

It support wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 01-17-2012 2:16 AM

I really enjoyed this site..your blog gave me some food for thought..Thank you so much for this post..<a href="windows7vswindows8.com/">Windows 7 vs Windows 8</a>

It support wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 01-18-2012 5:19 AM

A very insightful update.. had everything one would look for.. and while reading, I have to say it struck me as a blog that has all the elements that perfects it as an informative post.. <a href="microsofthelpnow.com/">Microsoft Help</a>

jaffa wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 05-03-2012 6:42 AM

Cablevision quickly expanded and built system throughout the New York metro area expanding into New Jersey, Westchester County, Connecticut, and the other boroughs of New York City. Thanks.

Regards,

<a href="michiganautoinsurance.org/">car insurance in michigan</a>

nobelboy wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 06-07-2012 1:43 AM

lutely loving this site! The more I come on here, the more impressed I become. A friend of mine was looking for these HP x64 drivers and low and behold they're right here. Unfortunately, her computer became all screwy after a power surge -- so now she's stuck reformatting.

<a href="www.jadefinejewelry.com/">jade shop</a>

arkspend wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 11-15-2012 4:48 AM

I'd too been very much worried about my net speed and got a lot information out of this article. Simplicity and easiness is reflecting throughout the post. I really enjoyed reading it.

I hope you'd keep it up and we'll get support from your posts.

dfvbfg wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 12-14-2012 6:01 AM

<a href="www.casinofachmann.com/">trippel chance</a>

<a href="www.casinofabrik.com/">Merkur Magnus online</a>

I couldn't contain my excitement; particularly since visiting New York has always been a dream of mine.

dfvbfg wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 12-14-2012 6:01 AM

<a href="www.casinofachmann.com/">trippel chance</a>

<a href="www.casinofabrik.com/">Merkur Magnus online</a>

rio789 wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 09-20-2014 3:49 AM

Even i feel the same with my internet connection as i it always makes my work too slow, by taking much time for loading pages. Which really dissatisfies me from the beginning.  As being a blogger it's really important to have a connection which comprises good speed for internet access. Hope i have to change mine too.

rio789 wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 09-22-2014 1:23 AM

To comprehend parcel misfortune, it is first important to realize that data is sent over the Internet in parcels. The reason would be system conditions are poor and the parcel got to be harmed in travel. It is not by any means the only reason for poor execution, so some forethought is required in diagnosing whether bundle misfortune is constantly accomplished.

johnsmith80701 wrote re: Packet Loss on Cablevision’s Optimum Online Boost Service
on 10-15-2014 3:37 AM

I love to explore I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. www.exams-software.com/600-199-exam.html - www.exams-software.com/640-760-exam.html

Please Sign in or Join to share your comments!
Copyright © Extended64.com, 2009. All rights reserved.